Sunday, January 9, 2011

I must be a grownup now

My grandmother was something of an artist.  Growing up I loved visiting her because she had a kiln in her kitchen and was always making awesome stuff.  Her big thing was flowers.  She made so many cool things.  She gave me a beautiful bathroom set once a mirror, and a jewelry box that sat on a plate type thing.  I thought I was so lucky.  My grandmother died while I was living in LA and I am so grateful that I was something so special for her.  A few of the things I have that she made:
                                   These are ceramic hot pads
                                      

The bathroom set

Another Jewelry box



When I was in high school my grandmother made me a full set of china.  I was never allowed to touch this china.  I left for college, no touching the china.  I moved to LA when I was 21, no taking the china.  I moved back to Texas and got married.  Now, finally I am allowed to touch the china!  Last weekend I went to my moms house packed up all my china and brought it home with me.

I adore them.  She used 24 carat gold leaf.  They are simple and classsy, everything I *want* to be.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! And how awesome that you have such personal gifts to remember her by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowza, what a gorgeous set and so much more special because it was made by your grandmother!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful and personal set!

    ReplyDelete