This weekend was a busy one for me. We had level 4 State meet. We had 11 girls compete. A few of them are very talented and a few are... well they are all talented, but it takes a special kind of 6 year old to have the focus, attention span and drive to compete. Our level 4 girls only work out 7 1/2 hours a week. They compete against girls that train 15-20 hours/week. We believe that much training at a young age will burn them out sooner, we want them to keep their love for the sport for many, many years.
So I coach beam. I help with floor also but 2 of us share floor. I am the only beam coach. So how they do on beam is all on me. My boss is the bar coach, she makes it pretty clear that it is a competition between all of us. Let me give some background info. All season my girls have been getting 9.0 for my not as good kids, up to 9.6's for my very, very good girls.
Session 1 Saturday at 7:45AM (our youngest group of girls, they are 6 and 7 years old!)
Rylea
Sofia
Elaine
Brooklyn
Anya
Emma
Beam time. They all hit their routines yay!!! Brooklyn, Emma and Anya did the best routines that I have ever seen them do. Just beautiful routines. I was expecting 9.8's maybe even a 9.9. I look at the scoreboard and Emma and Brooklyn got 9.0's and Anya got a 9.1. I was so mad that I had to walk out of the gym. I paced outside for a good 5 minutes before I came back inside.
Awards time. The other events had high scores (example Emma won Bars with a 9.7) Luckly the beam judges were hard on everyone because Anya won first with a 9.1!!! Beam state champion!!! and Emma and Brooklyn got 2nd with 9.0's! So that made me feel a lot better!
So summary of the results (best that I can remember) official results aren't online yet.
Anya. Beam 9.1 - 1st place level 4 beam champion!!!
Emma. Beam 9.0 - 2nd, Bars - 1st, All around 3rd!!
Brooklyn. Beam 9.0 - 2nd, Bars - 1st, All around 2nd place!!!
Kaitlyn. Beam 9.5 -1st place level 4 state beam champion!!!!
Peyton. Bars 9.65 - 1st, beam 9.45 - 1st, floor 9.775- 1st. Vault 9.425 - 2nd. 1st All around level 4 state champion!!!
So all in all my boss and I tie with 3 first place finishes on bars and beam. She had 2 fourth place finishes and I had 2 second place finishes. So I think that I win!!!
Very, very proud of all of my girls. Very, very long weekend, but very rewarding.
Yay! That is so awesome.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Coach! :)
ReplyDelete